Cory Buckner came to USC in May of 2011. Cory’s primary role within SAAS consists of coordinating and implementing programming initiatives within the Directed Studies Program. His efforts center around the recruiting, hiring, and training process of the Assistant Learning Specialists as well as the newly created Directed Studies Tutors. Additionally, Cory serves on the Personal Development Committee, Instructor for PHED 165, and the liaison for Writing 095 and EDPT 110. He also serves as the liaison for the cultural centers on campus.
Cory also maintains a case-load of student-athletes in which he provides one-on-one individualized instruction. In this capacity, Cory assists student-athletes with a variety of academic/student development issues including, but not limited to: time management, study skills, self-assessment, organizational skills as well as self-efficacy development. Cory has also served as the academic counselor for the Trojans men’s basketball team where he oversaw the day to day operations as it related to their academic support and student development.
Cory came to USC after serving 2 years at The University Louisville serving both as the Interim Director for Football Academics as well as the academic counselor for football primarily dealing with the offense. Additionally, Cory served as the liaison for the Office of Student Activities, School of Nursing, and the Black Faculty and Staff Association along with a wide variety of administrative duties within the department. During Cory’s tenure at Louisville he helped the football team achieve the highest amount of student-athletes over a 3.0 GPA in documented history. Prior to coming to Louisville, Cory spent two years working at Tennessee State University as the academic counselor/academic coordinator for all sports.
Cory is a proud graduate of Indiana University where he earned both his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
A native of Dallas, Texas, Cory is a member of The National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics (N4A), as well as Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated.
Fun Facts about Cory:
Why did you choose USC?
- USC is an outstanding institution of higher learning that promotes the development of students from a holistic approach-mind, body, and spirit. My professional values matched this fine institution. With that I wanted to come here to be a change agent for as many lives of our student-athletes as possible and leave my foot prints as many have done before me.
- Coming to America
- Italian Food
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents – Quinn and Rhonda Buckner
Favorite Musical Performer
- Stevie Wonder
- Breaking Through – John Mclendon, Basketball Legend and Civil Rights Pioneer
- Reading, running, playing basketball, riding the bike, and spending time with loved ones
Fun random fact
- If I could spend all my time at the beach I would do that and listen to the waves.
Office: (213) 740-2018