Dr. Kevin Bolen
Dr. Kevin Bolen started his position as a Learning Specialist at SAAS in 2012. In addition to this role, he serves as a liaison between Disability Services & Programs and the Athletic Department. In an effort to enhance their academic experience, Kevin also guides student-athletes through the use of assistive technologies. From 1999-2012, Kevin was both a part-time and full-time employee at USC under the Center for Academic Support/Disability Services & Programs, aiding students with various disabilities. He also worked for six years with the Office for Residential Education as a Residence Coordinator. After earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology with a minor in Education from the University of California, Santa Cruz, Kevin moved to Los Angeles where he attended USC and received a Master’s Degree in Post-Secondary Administration & Student Affairs, as well as a Doctorate in Educational Leadership. Born and raised in Northern California, Kevin currently resides in the South Los Angeles area.
Fun Facts about Kevin:
Why did you choose USC?
- When I narrowed down my choices of Graduate Schools, I was looking at USC and Oregon State. Both offered me amazing opportunities and assistantships that would pay for my education and housing. So for me, it boiled down to location. I had lived in a small town most of my life and wanted to challenge myself in experiencing something different…what better way to do that than going to a school with 30,000+ students located in the city of Los Angeles with historic traditions, excellent academics and an amazing athletic program.
- This is tough because I have favorite movies for different categories…but if I must narrow it down to one…I’d have to go with “The Usual Suspects”.
- Pizza…pasta…and pretty much anything fried (breaded food is so good!)
- “When someone shows you who they are…believe them.” – Bishop Darrell L. Bush
- My parents have had such a profound influence on my life…I really can’t put into words what they mean to me. It wasn’t until I got older that I truly appreciated their love, sacrifices, commitment and support. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that parents are never perfect…many just do the best they can with the tools they’ve been given. And I definitely love my parents for working so hard and giving all that they had to make sure their children were provided with opportunities that they themselves didn’t have.
Favorite Musical Performer
- Frankie Beverly & Maze are amazing in concert…their energy is infectious! But if you just want to chill…Anita Baker, George Benson, Poncho Sanchez and Herbie Hancock are awesome to watch live too.
-The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas…I couldn’t put this book down!
- I love music, sports, watching movies, helping others in need, working with the youth in my church and spending time with family and friends.
Fun fact about yourself
- I’ve got a scar on the top of my head that nobody in my family seems to know where it came from…if you have any information about this, please feel free to share.
Office: (213) 821-7389